Street Maintenance What is a Pothole?
A pothole is where the roadway cracks and gives way leaving a hole in the pavement.
What is the Cause of a Pothole?
Potholes are usually caused by water, weather and traffic. When the roadway cracks under usual wear and tear of everyday traffic,water enters the crack and causes the roadbase under the pavement to erode and give way. Once the erosion occurs, vehicle traffic casues the pavement to sink and break apart causing a hole. During the winter months the cracks fill with water then freeze causing the pavement to expand, and then thaws and contracts. This freeze/thaw cycle can cause pavement to crack and deteriorate quickly under heavy traveled conditions. During this time, potholes can occur quickly.
To be completed this year:
- Tarrant from Rock to Mill
- Raborn to Jakarta
- City Hall parking lot
- Meadow Lane
- Fog seal the walking trail
- 115' drainage replacement @ Creekwood
- Fog seal Wilbarger - Hwy 59- Green
- Lowery from Orchard to Cherry
- Mason from Lovers to Liinda
- Hudspeth pending sewer and water repair
- Roach from Hwy 59 to Jackson